In June, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) announced the requirement for all workplace first-aiders to be trained in the use of an automated external defibrillator (AED) from 31 December 2016. This is as a result of a change to the guidelines of the Resuscitation Council UK, which now state that when managing a casualty in need of cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), a first-aider must request an AED.
To accommodate these changes and cover the use of an automated external defibrillator, Highfield will be amending the qualification specification and practical assessment pack for the following qualifications:
Centres running courses from 31 December 2016 will be required to assess learners in the use of an AED. However, this will be optional prior to this date.
We anticipate that the subject of using an AED will be covered in the CPR section of each qualification. Learners should be assessed on their ability to demonstrate the following skills:
- place AED pads correctly
- follow AED instructions
Additionally, please note, the following requirements must be met when delivering training on the use of an AED:
- centres must have 1 training AED available for every 4 learners on a course. This does allow for adjustment to lesson plans so long as the ratio of 1:4 is maintained and centres ensure learners are not disadvantaged.
- centres running first-aid courses must ensure their tutors and assessors are sufficiently knowledgeable and competent in the use of an AED
We shall keep you updated with any further updates we receive regarding these qualifications. In the meantime, if you require any further information, please contact your account manager.
Highfield Awarding Body for Compliance would like to remind all centres that the last date for new registrations for the HABC Level 2 Award in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Automated External Defibrillation (QCF) will be Thursday 30 June 2016. HABC approved centres will have until 21 July 2016 to complete their programmes (unless special considerations are applied) and apply for learner certificates.
This qualification has been replaced by the HABC Level 2 Award in Basic Life Support and Safe Use of an Automated External Defibrillator (RQF), which is supported by both the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and Skills for Health. It has also been approved for delivery to pre-16 year olds.
This is a 1-credit qualification, typically delivered over a half-day course (minimum contact time of 4 hours) and contains the following unit:
- Basic Life Support and Using an Automated External Defibrillator
Please note: while in-depth AED training is not currently a compulsory component of first aid at work and emergency first-aid courses, the HSE welcomes AED training being incorporated into them. This is a stance that HABC supports and we strongly encourage our centres to consider this moving forward. Further information on the HSE welcoming the addition of AED awareness training into first-aid courses is available here.
We are pleased to announce that a further 45 Highfield Awarding Body for Compliance qualifications have been approved for local flexibility funding for the academic year 2016/17.
We now deliver a total of 94 local flexibility funded qualifications available as part of the Adult Education Budget, and anticipate that more qualifications will soon be approved for funding for the academic year of 2016/17!
This Sunday marks the 35th annual London Marathon.
Our Managing Director Christian Sprenger, IT Director Ashley Reddy and Becky Ashley will be lacing up their trainers to run a gruelling 26.2 miles in aid of our chosen charity VICTA, alongside Olympic athletes Dame Kelly Holmes and Iwan Thomas.
This fantastic charity provides equipment and services and hosts events that help blind and partially sighted children and young people to develop socially, emotionally and educationally, as well as offering their parents a vital network of support and information.
Becky and Chris at the Chesterfield Marathon – trying to get some miles in preparation for the 26.2 challenge!
Chris has now been dubbed by all of us at Highfield as ‘marathon man’ as this weekend will be his 3rd appearance at the event (we’ll keep you informed if he can beat last year’s finish time of 3 hours 29 minutes!), however for our IT Director Ashley and marketing manager Becky, it will be their first time competing.
After signing up for the challenge back in May last year, they have all embarked on rigorous training regimes and Chris has regularly been seen testing his endurance on lunch breaks! We’ve summarised Ashley’s training in numbers below using information gathered from his fitness device.
As this went to press, the Highfield heroes have received over £1,500 in sponsorship so far for the London Marathon, and we certainly put the fun in fundraising at our Christmas party, which saw our wonderful team donate over £1,000 in just one night!
To support them on their adventure this weekend, please click here
Highfield Awarding Body for Compliance (HABC) will be at this year’s Health & Safety Event with all the latest news, updates and developments in the world of skills and training for frontline health and safety professionals and educators.
And leading the HABC team will be our new Business Development Manager, Christian Hopper, who has 15 years’ experience in the health and safety sector and will be on hand throughout the event to discuss all your learning and skills needs.
Held at Birmingham NEC from 22 to 24 March 2016, The Health and Safety Event provides the perfect networking and educational opportunity for anyone responsible for running a safe and efficient workplace.
And as well as having the chance to gain CPD and insights with over 45 free-to-attend seminars on the changing landscape of health and safety – including a presentation from the Health and Safety Executive’s (HSE) Head of Regulation, Kevin Myers, on new enforcement guidelines – you’ll be able to come along to the HABC stand (J16 within the NEBOSH Education Pavilion) and find out more on how we can help you, including:
- Details on our range of health and safety and compliance qualifications, ranging from Level 1 to Level 4 and covering specific sectors such as manufacturing, catering, retail, construction and care workplaces
- Information on specialised health and safety books and learning resources from Highfield International, plus details on resources for associated areas such as fire safety, risk assessment and COSHH
- Updates on e-learning solutions for health and safety at Levels 1, 2 and 3 from Highfield e-learning, plus case studies on how we created bespoke health and safety e-learning programmes for some of the world’s top companies
- More on how HABC supports its centres and educators to help reduce workplace harm and deliver the training that employers and learners need to do their jobs safely and effectively.
If you’d like to arrange a meeting with Christian at The Health and Safety Event, please contact him on 07484 054405 or email firstname.lastname@example.org You can also follow him on Twitter at HABC_HealthandSafety
To celebrate National Apprenticeship Week 2016 we are giving away a £100 Highfield credit voucher to one lucky winner.
TO ENTER: Like our Facebook page, share this post, and tell us what you’d spend your £100 credit voucher on in the comments section.
The winner will be announced on Friday 18 March at 12.30pm.
Don’t forget to tag your friends and colleagues in the comments to let them know that they could also be in with a chance of winning!
TERMS & CONDITIONS
- Employees of Highfield or their family members or anyone else connected in any way with the competition or helping to set up the competition shall not be permitted to enter the competition.
- The selected winner must follow/like the Highfield Awarding Body for Compliance Facebook account on their entry channel to qualify to receive the prize.
- There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition.
- The £100 credit voucher can be redeemed against any product listed on our Highfield International website and Highfield Awarding Body for Compliance qualifications, subject to HABC’s terms and conditions. To redeem the voucher against examination or assessment materials with HABC you must be a HABC approved centre and be approved to offer the qualification in the subject area requested with appropriate training, assessing or quality assurance staff in place where required.
- Closing date for entry will be 18.03.16 at 12.30pm. After this time no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
- We reserve the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by the promoter.
- No cash alternative to the prize will be offered. The prize is not transferable. Prizes are subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice.
- A winner will be chosen at random on 18.03.16.
- The winner will be notified via Facebook. The winner’s name will also be announced publicly upon the closure of the competition.
- The winner agrees to the use of his/her name and image in any publicity material. Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant’s prior consent.
- Entry into the competition will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions.
- This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, LinkedIn or any other social network.
HABC will be hosting several events during spring. Each of these events will focus on specific subject areas and will cover the relevant qualifications available from Highfield in these areas and their delivery. Delegates will have the opportunity to network with industry trainers and view supporting subject materials from Highfield International.
The events are:
Admin Support Event
♦ Thursday, 19 May 2016
♦ University of Stirling, Scotland
Price: This is a FREE event
Regulated First Aid Qualification Assessor & IQA CPD Training
♦ Thursday, 19 May 2016
♦ Village Urban Resorts, Tyne and Wear, Newcastle
Price: £50+VAT for HABC centres and £65+VAT for non-centres
Education and Training Event
♦ Monday, 20 June 2016
♦ Holiday Inn, Doncaster A1 (M) Jct 36
Price: £50+VAT for HABC centres and £65+VAT for non-centres
Attendance at each of these events will entitle you to 6 CPD points.
The 2016 calendar will not only allow you to view details of our scheduled events, but will also provide you with the option of booking yourself and/or your colleagues onto them. To book yourself on to one of our events, please visit here. Alternatively, you can secure your place by calling our Sales team on 0845 226 0350 or by emailing the Events team at email@example.com.
Spaces will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. Book now to ensure that you don’t miss out!
The Security Industry Authority (SIA) has announced a series of changes aimed to simply and improve the security licence applications process.
The changes, which are due to be implemented this spring, are part of a ‘digital by default’ approach that will see applications and renewals completed entirely online.
The key changes include:
- New services for approved contractors (Licence Management and Licence Assist), which will provide businesses with greater control of the licensing of their employees, along with special permissions to carry out certain tasks
- Allowing other businesses to pay for licence applications with the SIA’s Licence Pay Only service, as well as create customised ‘watch lists’ on their improved Licence Status Checker to monitor the licence status of the individuals they are interested in
- Removing bulk paper applications and telephone renewals
- Managing the majority of their queries online, with a call handling centre for complex queries
- Licence applications and renewals to be completed entirely online.
A full presentation outlining the changes is available here.
There is also a suite of information concerning the changes on the SIA’s website (www.sia.homeoffice.gov.uk).
Highfield is bringing its online Course Management System and Learner Management System together into one brand new digital resource – Highfield Central.
The new system will help Highfield Centres to manage both course-based and assessor-based qualifications, request exam papers, place orders, purchase registrations and register learners from one easy-to-use central location.
As part of the change, all qualifications will now sit in just one place, helping Centres and administrators manage the process better, while associated products and learner resources will be available to order from the same location. Centres will also be able to see how many registrations they have purchased or banked, allowing a stock check and improved transparency of purchases for their own records.
The majority of qualifications will be moved over to Highfield Central by 15 October 2015, the exceptions being security (licence-linked), endorsed, international and pool lifeguarding qualifications, which will move later in the year.
If you’ve already posted courses starting after 15 October on the Course Management System that need to be moved to Highfield Central, our IT team will transfer these for you and provide you with new course ID numbers.
A guidance document for those offering course-based qualifications has already been published, with further guidance and instructions due to be posted shortly. In the meantime, if you have any questions, your account manager will be on hand to help you.
Highfield Awarding Body for Compliance (HABC) has added two new first-aid events to its calendar for this autumn.
The events cover internal quality assurance and assessment of HABC’s suite of first-aid qualifications. Attendance at either event will entitle delegates to a CPD certificate for first-aid assessment and IQA.
Dates and locations are:
Places cost £50 plus VAT for Highfield Centres, or £65 plus VAT for non-Highfield Centres.
To book, follow the links above.
For further information on our other remaining 2015 events, please click here.